Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Back from Retreating

**p-word talk below**


I'm back in the land of activity. My retreat was very nice and peaceful. I was definitely able to relax and to even catch up on some sleep. There was a lot of opportunity to pray and listen, which I really needed. One of the books I was reading during the retreat is called "healing the hidden self." It is about how we can ask Jesus to heal our younger selves so that we can move on from the pain/effects in our adult life. The author says some interesting things about possible traumas that people can inherit from stresses the mom feels during pregnancy and about the trauma children may feel during the birthing process. I started to think about some things from my childhood that I may still be carrying around. It also made me think about how I am approaching this pg and how I plan to approach the upcoming birth. One thing that I think will be important is that I try to avoid (or at least deal with better) undue stress. Also, I have decided that I will have a positive attitude about this pg from here on in. I can't give any more energy to being scared or worried that this baby isn't going to come out alive and well. I still realize that something may happen, but I am choosing not to spend energy worrying about "what if" anymore. The baby is still kicking away, so that is helping with my new attitude...

I took my first set of belly pics. This weekend I noticed that my stomach really seemed to pop out. At about18 weeks I felt like I didn't have a waist anymore, but now I really feel like my stomach is starting to stick out. Of course, there's fat on top of the baby, so I think that many people, if they didn't know me, would just think I was fat... especially when I'm not wearing a maternity shirt. I am wearing my favorite maternity shirt in the pic so I look more pg than in other shirts. I am looking forward to just looking pg, without people being confused if I've just gained a few pounds... This is the first time in my life where I don't mind my stomach getting bigger. In fact, I was actually kind of excited that it was expanding! Passing 20w was good for me.

Thanks to all of you who have been commenting! I signed up to be a part of NaComLeavMo and I am in the process of figuring out how to put the icon in my sidebar. I will be around the blogsphere, but it will take me a little while to get caught up on reading all the posts from the weekend.

19 comments:

Sam said...

I can't wait to get to that point-I still have about a million weeks to go. You look adorable and not fat at all! Good luck!!

Erin said...

Here from NaComLeavMo. You look fabulous and congratulations on getting to 20 weeks!

Cindy said...

This is my first visit to your blog, but I just wanted to say I think you look adorable! (I found your blog through NaComLeavMo, but I'm not on the list...I missed the cutoff date.)

Anyway...you look great!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I here from NaComLeavCom
congratulations on 20 weeks with your precious bean.Your belly looks fabulous.

I won't tell you how long it took me
*gasp* the last number in your list but we got a double yoker in the end.

My Little Drummer boys

Kathy V said...

Look how cute that baby belly looks. Congrats on 20 weeks. I know what you mean about looking fat as opposed to pregnant. I was getting dressed the other day for a graduation party. I asked my husband about 20 times if I looked like I was pregnant or if I looked like I had gained about twenty pounds and just looked fat. He declined to answer at first and then said I looked pregnant. I was sort of thinking I just looked like I had gained 20 pounds.

AwkwardMoments said...

Aren't you too cute! love hte belly bump!

I think it is great to concentrate on the positive. I try very hard to do that - sometimes i just get so overwhelmed. I am going to take you as an inspiration! Glad you had a good weekend

Karey said...

You definitely look pregnant and not fat! Look at your skinny leg and skinny arm! And that top does look really cute.

I've got to believe that anything that is revealed to you through prayer or reading at a retreat like that is definitely something God wants you to know. So, good for you for listening. Relaxing/not worrying is a great idea (and can be tough, so you're in my prayers!)

Alison said...

You are so cute!!! Thanks for posting a picture! I love it!!

Jen said...

Your bump is completely adorable! I'm totally with you on liking shirts that make you look more pregnant and not just fat. Empire waists are definitely my new best friend.

Nessa said...

I don't think you look fat! I think you look adorably pregnant. I'm glad that I could give you warm fuzzies, trust me, I get them every time I re-read something awesome God's doing!

Isn't amazing how we all get to follow along with each others stories, even though we are literally strangers?!

Amanda said...

I would never think that you were anything but pregnant from this pic! What a beautiful bump!

As far as the early traumas...I do think that they can have an influence later in life. I think you and your baby will be just fine, though. You may be scared, but this baby knows it's loved!

Katie said...

Awww, you look great!

Beth said...

Oh I loved this part of pregnancy - felt great and could let it all hang out :)

Geohde said...

You look great!

J

sara said...

I'm glad you had a nice retreat and congrats on another week. Your picture looks great!

Nicky said...

Here from NaComLeavCom. I'm at 25 weeks, and also fighting the fat vs pregnant look. I'm loving the high-waisted maternity shirts, which make EVERYONE look pregnant (so that that's finally the goal!)

Anonymous said...

NaComLeavMo

Cute belly shot. I need to start taking some (I was soooo much better at taking them on my first pregnancy).

Kristine said...

You look adorable!

I had the same issues when I was pregnant. I couldn't wait until I got to a point where it was obvious I was pregnant and not just gaining more weight. Unfortunately I think that didn't really happen until I was almost eight months. But you, I can definitely tell you are pregnant!

Congratulations!

Steph said...

What a cute preggy picture!! You look great preggers!!!