Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy Saint Paddy's Day!


I just had to to acknowledge this wonderful Irish holiday (even though, in the Church calendar this year it was preempted). My family heritage is Irish and I have been to Ireland a couple times. (It was AWESOME! You should Go! They are the nicest people I have ever met.) My family even has a leprechaun who lives with us sometimes and makes a lot of mischief. The good part about having a leprechaun as a kid was I could blame things on him when I did something wrong. I'm not sure how much my parents bought my explanations, but I tried... =)
**p word warning**
In health update news, I had my 10 week check up on Friday. The good news is that my doc offered to let me have an u/s if I wanted (as if I would EVER turn that down!). So, the baby is measuring exactly on target... 10w on Friday, 3.3cm long and 179 hb. It was very reassuring to see how baby was doing. My bbies have also decided to reassure me that things are on track by becoming bigger melons than normal (I have never been small... I started wearing a bra in 4th grade and I think it was a size B already...) and being tender all over. So far I have only gained 1 pound total (after I gained back the 5 pounds I lost from being sick). Hopefully I can keep the weight gain in check. I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I am also tired all the time. BUT, I'm not complaining, especially if I get to take a baby home at the end of all this.
There was one piece of news that was a little worrisome. I have been experiencing some weird things with my heart. It will sometimes race randomly and sometimes it will skip a beat. I have always had episodes like this, but they were always pretty far apart (once a month at most). Lately they have been coming 4-5 times a week, at least. So I am supposed to see a cardiologist. My doc said there is a pretty common heart valve problem that is exacerbated by pg. I'm hoping that whatever is going on is simple to fix and won't cause a big problem. However, I would appreciate some prayers. I'm let you know when I have an appt with the cardiologist.
Just got off the phone. My appt is Monday, March 31st. That was the first available, so I'll just have to be patient...

7 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations on another perfect ultrasound!

The heart thing is scary and I will be looking for an update on that as soon as you find out the details! I will pray that it is nothing serious!

Karey said...

Great news about the ultrasound! I'll pray about the situation with your heart. If it is pretty common, as your doctor says, hopefully it's not a big deal. But think of it this way - if they were worried at all, they'd have you in there tomorrow.

Kathy V said...

I hope all goes well with the cardiologist. That is good news for the ultrasound.

We used to have a mythical creature in our house that we used to blame things on. my brother even tried to say it was "The Ghost of Metajis" when somehow purple magic marker ended up on the pale blue and white wallpaper on the wall of our vacation home. My mom didn't buy it though.

LifeHopes said...

I will pray for you on the 31st!

Love the leprechaun themed blog entry!!!

AwkwardMoments said...

Great news from the u/s. wonderful. Good luck with your appointment with the cardiologist

Alison said...

Yay for 10 weeks! This is great news!!

RBandRC said...

Hang in there. I have a leaking aortic valve and have been having the same issues. My cardiologist doesn't see it as a big issue right now, but the palpitations are a bit unnerving to say the least. I didn't know about my leaking valve, which is not related to pregnancy, until I went to the cardiologist. I also have two other leaking valves, but they think that is pregnancy related.

My point is, chances are that things will be fine. Be patient--the 31st will be here before you know it! :)

HUGS!