Wednesday, July 18, 2007

More Waiting...

Yesterday we had an apt with my obgyn to check in and "discuss our options." We told him the whole saga of the last 4 months worrying about DH's sperm counts. He is no longer going to send people to the horrible first urologist we went to, so that is good. He also apologized for the 4 months that we had to endure, which was nice to hear. Other than that, I found the apt a little frustrating (although I kind of knew it would happen that way). I was hoping he would suggest clo.mid, but he didn't. We waited for an hour to see him (he's the most popular doctor in the practice) and then when we did see him he basically told us that we should just keep trying for a while using opk's and doing the boogie dance more. At least he didn't actually say the words "just relax." He thinks we have been pretty aggressive until now, so we should give it a chance. He did say that he thinks I'm ovulating because my chart has gotten regular (after years of *crazy* cycles). Although, he suggested using an opk to determine if I'm having a strong ovulation.

I looked at the actual ovulation monitors and they are *expensive*!! I have a few internet opks that came in this fertility package I ordered. I'm going to try them to see if I can read them. I'm nervous about being able to tell how "strong" my ovulation is. I used to use a saliva microscope, but I found it difficult to read sometimes. I don't think I always "smeared" propperly, so it was hard to see if my saliva was ferning partially or fully. I only got a classic "full fern" pattern once. Maybe I only had a strong ovulation that once? I don't know. Eventually my microscope broke so I took it as a sign that I should quit using it...

Anyway, I'm currently on cd22 and I'm not too hopeful. I got cold last night, which I took as a sign that AF is on her way. Our timing wasn't great this cycle anyway. Next cycle we are planning to use opks and have the ultimate boogie marathon, with a little pre-seed thrown in. Hopefully that will do the trick.

6 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

Have you checked EBay for fertility monitors? They can be reset easily, so there's no reason you have to buy a brand new one. I do like my monitor more than the regular old OPKs.

Sorry you left your appt frustrated.

Unknown said...

I actually got my Clearblue fertility monitor on Ebay for under $100. It was a great deal. It showed the same exact thing as my OPKs did however and I ended up getting tired of 'double dipping' (not to mention the monitor sticks and OPKs are not cheap). I guess now that we are IVF bound I need neither of them...not sure if thats good or bad.

Did your doctor give you a time frame of how much more longer to do baby dancing with no result before coming back to see him? I swear, the nonstop waiting gets very frustrating!

Anyways, best of luck to you :)

Fat Girl said...

Well, I kind of told my doctor I was willing to try another 3-4 months, and then I would be visiting him again. I think he might have said at least 6 months if I hadn't cut him off.

It's good to know that OPKs do the same thing as the monitor. Hopefully I can interpret the OPK so the cheaper option will work for me...

K said...

Sorry your apt didn't go as planned.

Glad to hear that maybe your cycles are finally more regular. Yeah! Small victories!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that I just started reading your blogs and your situation sounds a lot like mine. Most of the blogger friends I have are already doing IUI's and IVF's. It kinda nice to meet someone who has not gone that far in their IF treatments yet. I'm going to add you to "the places I go" and will be checking in on you! Good luck!!

Oh and I also bought my CBEFM off of Ebay. I got mine plus 10 test sticks for 65.00. There are good deals to be found if you look for them. Also my OPK's almost always agreed with the monitor too.

Natalie said...

They don't work 100% of the time, but they're pretty good, and at a buck a pop, they can save you a LOT of money: http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ovulationtests.html

However, if you want to do better testing, my RE says the only ones that work are the ClearBlue Easy ones. I bought it this month and while it's $50 for 7 sticks, I didn't have any wasted/broken ones like I sometimes do with the buckarooney ones. Good luck!