Tuesday, February 19, 2008

How "Old"? --UPDATED--

**Pregnancy Post Warning**

So, I figured out to day that I may be farther along in this pregnancy than I thought. I ovulated early this cycle (on cd11). If I date the pregnancy from my menstral period, it puts me at 6w4d. If I date the pregnancy from my date of ovulation it puts me at 7w4d! I have to say, I like the sound of that second number better... It means that I am 1 week closer to the risk of m/c plummeting. At this point I am kind of confused about how to date this pg. I guess I will have a better idea after my u/s on Friday. I am even more anxious for the u/s now than I was before!

I am also concerned that I won't be able to go. Poor hubby came down with the flu and has had a high fever the last 2 days. The doc gave him tamaflu and a cough syrup with codine and I have been giving him fever reducing meds (ibuprophen and tylenol). I am just kind of waiting for the flu to hit me now. Unfortunately, I can't take all the good drugs he's taking because it's too much of a risk for the baby. I would be limited to Tylenol... It's also kind of sucky timing... I am supposed to go out of town next weekend... =( Hopefully I can avoid the flu all together, but I'm not holding my breath. If I am sick I won't go to the doc's office for the u/s where there are other preggos and babies that are vulnerable.

Anyway, I am kind of excited about the possibility of being further along than I thought. It would be like I jumped ahead in time a week! Friday will be very telling...

Oh, as far as symptoms... I still don't have any morning sickness (did I just tempt fate or what?). My bbies are kind of tender, but not as much in the nipple area as in the surrounding tissue... It's also really fiberous. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I am just assuming that it is. I also have some cramping in my abdomen. There hasn't been any blood and the cramps aren't too severe, so I'm not freaking out too much. Every once in a while I get a sharp pain, but it's over quickly and THERE'S NO BLOOD. That's the important part! (And I don't let myself go to the idea that I could have a missed m/c...)

The other worry is that I have continued to take Flax Seed Oil (per my doctor's recommendation) and tonight I just saw on a site that it may be linked to m/c... I'm not going to take it anymore!

And, as long as I'm updating... I haven't lost anymore weight. I've basically been holding steady for the last couple weeks. I'm ok with this. I figure it's not good for the baby for me to loose more weight right now. I am just trying to eat a balanced diet and avoid a whole new list of foods...

Well, I think I'm going to go to bed to try and get enough sleep to ward off the stupid flu.

Thanks for listening to my random pg worry post...

------------------
UPDATE: Apparently, I am not good at remember the context of numbers... I remembered the number 11, but forgot that I ovulated on CD11, not Jan 11. CD 11 was actually Jan 14. So, it would still put me a little further along, but only a few days. So, as of Feb. 20, 2008 I should either be 6w5d pregnant or 7w2d pregnant. I still like the second option better.

Oh, and this morning I woke up with congestion in my chest and my cough has gotten worse. I think the flu is settling in... =( I hope I don't have to miss any more days of work. I only have 5 vacation days left and I was hoping I could roll them over to next year (we can roll over up to 5 days) so I could tack them onto maternity leave. I know it won't be the end of the world if I have to use them, but it would have been nice. I get 6wks maternity leave and next year (my "year" starts in May) I will get 3 wks vacation. I was planning on tacking on some vacation to the maternity leave, but keeping 1 week just in case I need it for illness or something else. If I have to use up the rest of my sick time now that would give me 8 weeks to be home with the baby before going back to work. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

--------

2ND UPDATE

I called the doc this morning with my flu concerns and they said I should come in to see the doc today. So, they rescheduled my u/s for today too. Unfortunately, hubby was too sick to come with me. =( I brought a DVD to record the u/s, but the recorder machine wouldn't accept my disk. =( =( Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures I can post because we don't have a scanner and I only have still hardcopy pictures. I did call hubby when I saw the heartbeat. That was an exciting moment. They said the baby measured at 6w exactly (.47 cm). I was a little worried about this but the doc (not mine, but another one in the practice) said it was within the 7 day range that is considered acceptable. He said he wanted to keep the dating from the first day of my period at 6w5d. I am trying not to worry about it. I did implant late (around 10dpo) so maybe I did start off later. The HB was 134 the first time she measured and 136 the second time. They said that was good. Again, I'm just trying to trust and relax... I have another apt in 4 weeks (I will be 10wks at that point). We may be able to hear the heartbeat at that apt but it's not for sure because the pelvic bone could be in the way. I do have a tipped uterus so I'm not really counting on it. Anyway, that is the update. I'm trying to just focus on the positive (strong heartbeat!) and not worry. I am intentionally using my will to trust the Lord. Everything will be OK. Everything will be OK. Everything will be OK!

OH, and as for the flu. I did start to get a fever (100 degrees at the doc). He told me to take Robitussin DM, Sudafed, Tylenol, and Vitamin C. I also picked up some grapefruit seed extract. The doc said it would be ok and I haven't seen anything that would indicate it could be harmful. Since I can't take the flu medication I am hoping this will help me get over things more quickly than my poor hubby (who is still home and miserable in bed).

----------------

3rd UPDATE (and final for this post)
I just talked to my doc on the phone. He reassured me that Oct 10th will be my due date from here on out. He said the machine has a margin of error of 5 days, so there is nothing for me to worry about. I think they might have an older machine because he said that at 30 weeks pg the machine can be off by up to 3 weeks. So, I am feeling better about the u/s. I think I just needed to hear reassurance from the doc I trust. Not that I don't trust his partner, but it's different when my doc tells me. My doc explains things better, in more detail, and in a way that makes sense to me. I really like him (which is why I put up with his stupid staff). I guess that makes me officially 7w today! Yeah! =) After I hung up the phone with him I could actually feel myself physically relax. Whew!

6 comments:

Kathy V said...

Hang in there. Praying for you as you wait for your appointment.

Amanda said...

I truly hope the flu stays away! Good luck at the u/s! I can't wait to hear about a wonderful visit!

AwkwardMoments said...

so sorry bout the flu ... run away from it!

Katie said...

Yucky flu. BAD timing. You are so considerate to think of the others that might be affected, though, good for you!!! Maybe you could wear a mask?

You could tell them you are sick and ask not to wait in the waiting room? I mean, if you feel up to going, that is.

I will keep fingers crossed!

justme said...

Hope you get better and that the sickness passes very quickly. We're praying for you and little. :)

Oh, and btw, for what it's worth, I didn't notice any tension at all at the baby shower. It was great to see you there and if there were any awkward moments, I didn't notice. You were very gracious and kind and social. :) I'm glad you came.

Kathy V said...

I am glad the little one is doing fine. Strong heartbeat. It is a bummer that Hubby had to miss it. Wasn't it nice to see things working in there! Hugs of Congratulations to you!